QUESTION IMAGE
Question
- translate the argument into symbolic form and use a truth table to determine whether the argument is valid or invalid.
if i exercise or go on a diet, then i lose weight.
i lost weight.
therefore, i exercised or went on a diet.
\
$$\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\\hline
p & q & r & & & \\\\
\\hline
t & t & t & & & \\\\
\\hline
t & t & f & & & \\\\
\\hline
t & f & t & & & \\\\
\\hline
t & f & f & & & \\\\
\\hline
f & t & t & & & \\\\
\\hline
f & t & f & & & \\\\
\\hline
f & f & t & & & \\\\
\\hline
f & f & f & & & \\\\
\\hline
\\end{array}$$
a. yes, it is valid.
b. no, it is not valid.
c. it cannot be determined.
Define simple statements
Using the Mathematical Logic knowledge point
Let:
- \(p\): I exercise.
- \(q\): I go on a diet.
- \(r\): I lose weight.
Translate the argument
Using the Mathematical Logic knowledge point
- Premise 1: If I exercise or go on a diet, then I lose weight.
$$(p \lor q)
ightarrow r$$
- Premise 2: I lost weight.
$$r$$
- Conclusion: Therefore, I exercised or went on a diet.
$$p \lor q$$
Construct the truth table
Using the Truth Tables knowledge point
$$
LATEXBLOCK0
$$
Evaluate argument validity
Using the Truth Tables knowledge point
- Critical rows where both premises \((p \lor q)
ightarrow r\) and \(r\) are True:
- Row 1: \(p=T, q=T, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
- Row 3: \(p=T, q=F, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
- Row 5: \(p=F, q=T, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
- Row 7: \(p=F, q=F, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = F\) (Invalid).
- Since the conclusion is False in Row 7 while all premises are True, the argument is invalid.
Snap & solve any problem in the app
Get step-by-step solutions on Sovi AI
Photo-based solutions with guided steps
Explore more problems and detailed explanations
- (A) Yes, it is valid.
- (B) No, it is not valid. (Correct answer)
- (C) It cannot be determined.