Sovi.AI - AI Math Tutor

Scan to solve math questions

QUESTION IMAGE

20. translate the argument into symbolic form and use a truth table to …

Question

  1. translate the argument into symbolic form and use a truth table to determine whether the argument is valid or invalid.

if i exercise or go on a diet, then i lose weight.
i lost weight.

therefore, i exercised or went on a diet.

\

$$\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|} \\hline p & q & r & & & \\\\ \\hline t & t & t & & & \\\\ \\hline t & t & f & & & \\\\ \\hline t & f & t & & & \\\\ \\hline t & f & f & & & \\\\ \\hline f & t & t & & & \\\\ \\hline f & t & f & & & \\\\ \\hline f & f & t & & & \\\\ \\hline f & f & f & & & \\\\ \\hline \\end{array}$$

a. yes, it is valid.
b. no, it is not valid.
c. it cannot be determined.

Explanation:

Define simple statements

Using the Mathematical Logic knowledge point
Let:

  • \(p\): I exercise.
  • \(q\): I go on a diet.
  • \(r\): I lose weight.

Translate the argument

Using the Mathematical Logic knowledge point

  • Premise 1: If I exercise or go on a diet, then I lose weight.
$$(p \lor q) ightarrow r$$
  • Premise 2: I lost weight.
$$r$$
  • Conclusion: Therefore, I exercised or went on a diet.
$$p \lor q$$

Construct the truth table

Using the Truth Tables knowledge point

$$ LATEXBLOCK0 $$

Evaluate argument validity

Using the Truth Tables knowledge point

  • Critical rows where both premises \((p \lor q)

ightarrow r\) and \(r\) are True:

  • Row 1: \(p=T, q=T, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
  • Row 3: \(p=T, q=F, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
  • Row 5: \(p=F, q=T, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = T\) (Valid).
  • Row 7: \(p=F, q=F, r=T\). Conclusion \(p \lor q = F\) (Invalid).
  • Since the conclusion is False in Row 7 while all premises are True, the argument is invalid.

Answer:

  • (A) Yes, it is valid.
  • (B) No, it is not valid. (Correct answer)
  • (C) It cannot be determined.