QUESTION IMAGE
Question
is (-3, -6) a solution to the equation y = 2x?
yes
no
submit
Step1: Identify x and y values
Given the point \((-3, -6)\), we have \(x = -3\) and \(y = -6\).
Step2: Substitute into the equation
The equation is \(y = 2x\). Substitute \(x = -3\) into the right - hand side: \(2x=2\times(-3)= - 6\). And the left - hand side \(y=-6\). Since the left - hand side (\(y = - 6\)) is equal to the right - hand side (\(2x=-6\))? Wait, no, wait. Wait, \(2\times(-3)=-6\), and \(y = - 6\). Wait, but the original point is \((-3,-6)\), so when \(x=-3\), \(y\) should be \(2\times(-3)=-6\), which matches. Wait, I made a mistake. Wait, let's re - do it.
Wait, the equation is \(y = 2x\). For the point \((x,y)=(-3,-6)\), substitute \(x=-3\) into the right - hand side: \(2\times(-3)=-6\). The left - hand side is \(y=-6\). So \(y = 2x\) holds because \(-6=2\times(-3)\). Wait, but that would mean yes. Wait, I think I messed up earlier. Wait, \(x=-3\), \(y = - 6\). \(2x=2\times(-3)=-6\), and \(y=-6\). So \(y = 2x\) is true. Wait, but the original problem: is \((-3,-6)\) a solution to \(y = 2x\)? Let's check again. \(x=-3\), \(y=-6\). Plug into \(y = 2x\): RHS: \(2\times(-3)=-6\), LHS: \(y=-6\). So LHS = RHS. So the answer should be yes? Wait, but maybe I misread the point. Wait, the point is \((-3,-6)\)? Wait, the user wrote "Is (-3, -6) a solution to the equation y = 2x?". So \(x=-3\), \(y=-6\). \(2x=2\times(-3)=-6\), which is equal to \(y\). So the answer is yes? Wait, but maybe I made a mistake. Wait, let's check again. If \(x=-3\), then \(y = 2\times(-3)=-6\), which is exactly the \(y\) - value of the point. So the point \((-3,-6)\) satisfies the equation \(y = 2x\). So the answer is yes? Wait, but the initial wrong thought. Let's confirm:
Given the equation \(y = 2x\), a solution is an ordered pair \((x,y)\) such that when we substitute \(x\) and \(y\) into the equation, both sides are equal.
For \((x,y)=(-3,-6)\):
Left - hand side (LHS): \(y=-6\)
Right - hand side (RHS): \(2x=2\times(-3)=-6\)
Since LHS = RHS (\(-6=-6\)), the ordered pair \((-3,-6)\) is a solution to the equation \(y = 2x\). So the answer is yes. Wait, but I think I had a confusion earlier. So the correct answer is yes.
Snap & solve any problem in the app
Get step-by-step solutions on Sovi AI
Photo-based solutions with guided steps
Explore more problems and detailed explanations
no