Sovi.AI - AI Math Tutor

Scan to solve math questions

QUESTION IMAGE

21. which statement shows the best way to revise this complex sentence,…

Question

  1. which statement shows the best way to revise this complex sentence, making it a compound sentence instead?

○ the employer asked me to come by for an interview after submitting an application.
○ after submiting an application, the employer asked me to come by for an interview.
○ i submitted an application, and the employer asked me to come by for an interview.
○ after i submitted an application, an interview was asked for by the employer.
○ after i submitted an application, the employer asked me to come by for an interview.

Explanation:

Brief Explanations

To form a compound sentence, we need two independent clauses joined by a conjunction. Let's analyze each option:

  • First option: "The employer asked me to come by for an interview after submitting an application." – "after submitting..." is a phrase, not an independent clause.
  • Second option: "After I submitted an application, the employer asked me to come by for an interview." – This is a complex sentence with a dependent clause ("After I submitted an application") and an independent clause.
  • Third option: "I submitted an application, and the employer asked me to come by for an interview." – Here, "I submitted an application" and "the employer asked me to come by for an interview" are two independent clauses joined by the conjunction "and", making it a compound sentence.
  • Fourth option: "After I submitted an application, an interview was asked for by the employer." – This is a passive construction and a complex sentence (dependent clause + independent clause), not a compound sentence.

So the correct option is the one with two independent clauses joined by "and".

Answer:

I submitted an application, and the employer asked me to come by for an interview. (The third option in the list of choices)